- It's all yours right now -- enjoy it! Once your wiki takes off, lots of people will read what you write. Right now, nobody's looking over your shoulder yet, so feel free to try things out and make mistakes.
- Make lots of short pages! The hardest thing about writing is looking at a blank page and not knowing where to start. It's a lot easier once you write down your first couple sentences. So take a deep breath, and jump in -- make ten really short pages, one right after another. Once you've started, you can build the pages up slowly, adding a little bit at a time.
- Link your pages together! Links help you and your readers get from one page to another, so whenever you mention the subject of another page, use the "Add a Link" button to make a link to that page. You should also use the front page to link to all of the most important pages on your wiki. Describe what your wiki is about on the main page, and include links to help your readers find their way around.
- Add pictures! A well-chosen picture can make a bland wiki page come to life. When you're writing a page, use the "Add a Picture" button to upload a picture from your computer onto the page.
- When you're ready -- tell your friends! Once you've started a bunch of pages, linked them together and added some pictures, you'll be ready to start showing off your wiki to the world. You probably know people who are interested in the same thing that you are, so tell your friends to check out your new site. Those are your first readers and potential contributors, so give them lots of encouragement.
A good way to stay up-to-date with the latest news and events around Wikia is to visit our Staff blog. If at any time you get stuck, feel free to write to us through our contact form -- we're happy to help!
Are you still around? Just wanted to inform that I felt like trying to improve this wiki somewhat :) Sledgehammerx 21:11, June 23, 2011 (UTC)
Hello, as you can see I really like System Shock 2 a lot and have gotten started with some editing here. I helped with the Von Braun page and already created some templates for you. I have already worked and am the admins on both the Left 4 Dead Wiki as well as The Walking Dead Wiki so I do have a great deal of working on wikis and creating templates and such... I know it's soon but because of my experience, can you already make me a admin on this wiki as well since I would like to gain access to a variety areas that I would like to fix. Please let me know and I will continue to try and slowly fix up this wiki more. Thanks! --06abrahb 06:28, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Hello again, well as you can see, I am still continuing to edit this wiki. I really do like System Shock 2 and will continue to make improvements however, I am still limited in what I can edit. I would hope that you can make me an admin so I can gain access to everything and really spoof up this wiki and make it look really good, update all the information, and appeal more to other people. I hope you are still willing to give me a shot to try and bring this wiki back to life. Thanks. --06abrahb 23:03, April 24, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the main page now... I like it to now but once I finish with adding more articles such as the audio logs, weapons, and enemies pages, the main page should look super cool! Also thanks for promoting me to an admin! I will continue to do great things on here and continue on editing and contributing as well as do some housecleaning now. Finally, as for people, I too would like to try and get more people onto this wiki but sadly, the people I know haven't played the System Shock series. All I can really get them to do is maybe just check for spelling and grammar and stuff. I dunno but I'll keep on looking into it. Thanks again! --06abrahb 09:37, April 27, 2012 (UTC)
Hi Magma-Man, thanks for getting the ball going for System Shock 1 and 2. I'm gonna try and put every effort and knowledge I can from the games and make the wikia comparable to Bioshock. The Space Engineer (talk) 21:40, July 13, 2012 (UTC)
Tech Questions Edit
Hi! I saw your impressive SHODANPEDIA,_The_System_Shock_Wiki...
... and I'd have some tech questions, if I may...
- How did you suppress the "On the Wiki" tab (and its 3 sub-tabs) in the Wiki Navigation?
- How did you modify the style of your wiki? Did you use HTML commands (div style, span style...) instead of CSS? Because http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css is unmodified...
- How on Earth did you suppress that "Contribute" button on each page?