O/S Upgrade allows the player to perform overhand melee attacks with increased damage. Hold attack to perform. The damage increase is slightly less than with Lethal Weapon, except for the Crystal Shard which receives over 100% damage increase.
|Weapon||Normal base damage||Smasher base damage|
|Mark VI Laser Rapier||11||14|
- Essential for melee-focused characters, especially when stacked with Lethal Weapon.
- When planning to get both Lethal Weapon and Smasher, Lethal Weapon should usually be acquired first.
- With Smasher, the overhand attack hits as fast as the normal hand-to-hand attack. The only drawback is that it is harder to aim (being on a vertical plane rather than a horizontal one). Keep your crosshairs centered on your foe, though, and you should do fine.
- Including the time to prep a swing, performing a smash attack takes about twice as long as a normal attack. Therefore, using Smasher when in front of an enemy will actually lower your damage output (except when using the Crystal Shard, in which case it's a wash). The overhead attack is only useful if prepped before approaching the enemy.
- In some versions of the game, the Laser Rapier's damage seems to be unaffected by Smasher.
|System Shock 2 Character Builds|
|Classes||Marine • Navy • O.S.A. Agent|
|Statistics||Strength • Endurance • Psionic Ability • Agility • Cybernetic Affinity|
|Technical Skills||Hacking • Repair • Modify • Maintenance • Research|
|Combat Skills||Standard Weapons • Energy Weapons • Heavy Weapons • Exotic Weapons|
|O/S Upgrades||Cyber-Assimilation • Cybernetically Enhanced • Lethal Weapon • Naturally Able • Pack-Rat • Pharmo-Friendly •|
Power Psi • Replicator Expert • Security Expert • Sharpshooter • Smasher • Spatially Aware • Speedy •
Strong Metabolism • Tank • Tinker