|First Encounter||Engineering Deck|
|Damage Output||15 (Explosion)|
Stasis Field Generator
XERXES has modified all the Protocol Droids on the Von Braun so that, as soon as it gets close enough to you, it will self-destruct in a devastating explosion. Protocol Droids first appear on the Engineering Deck, and are found sporadically through the rest of the game.
They appear in very large numbers in the confined spaces of the Cargo Bays, whose confined spaces make their self-destruct attacks very effective. They sometimes appear in storage containers but will burst out after you trigger them. They can be very deadly in the Cargo Bays as a result, particularly because this early in the game you should be low on ammo, and not particularly focused on ranged anti-machine weapons. Afterwards, however, they appear only occasionally, in much more open spaces, and you should have the ammo to deal with them.
Avoidance and ranged weapons are your best strategies - once it goes "boom", a Protocol Droid is done for good, so make it blow up far away from you. If, despite your best efforts, a Protocol Droid gets close to you, don't waste any ammunition on it. You would simply trigger its explosion a little earlier, which is no benefit if you are already inside its blast radius.
- The larger robots will explode upon death similar to a Protocol Droid. When fighting them and low on ammo, use a melee weapon to wear them down, then finish them off with one or two shots at a distance so as not to be caught in the explosion.
- If you run completely out of ammo and Psi energy, don’t even bother trying to go toe to toe with a Protocol Droid. It will always win a melee fight. Either get creative or get away.
- If you're lucky, you may see a Protocol Droid at a distance, walking by another monster. Shoot the Protocol Droid rather than the other monster and you might kill them both when the Droid explodes!
- Similarly if you're being chased by a group of monsters (such as Hybrids) and happen to run past a wandering Protocol Droid, you can try shooting it at the right moment to weaken or kill your pursuers.
- Protocol Droids are vulnerable to the Stasis Field Generator and the Electron Suppression PSI powers.
- Psi users may also use the Localized Pyrokinesis power to become immune to incendiary damage, rendering Protocol Droids completely harmless.
- If a hostile Turret happens to be nearby, you can try to get the Protocol Droid to walk between you and it so it will be destroyed by the turret's indiscriminate fire.
- While Protocol Droids are plentiful in the Cargo Bays, so are cargo elevators which can be used as improvised 'crush traps' to get rid of them.
|System Shock 2 Enemies|
|Annelids||Grub • Swarm • Grub Egg • Swarm Egg • Toxic Egg • Black Egg • Infant Arachnid • Adult Arachnid • Invisible Arachnid • Psi-Reaver • Greater Psi-Reaver|
|Hybrids||Pipe Hybrid • Shotgun Hybrid • Grenade Hybrid • Blue Monkey • Red Monkey • Rumbler|
|Robotic||Security Camera • Maintenance Robot • Security Robot • Assault Robot • Protocol Droid • Slug Turret • Laser Turret • Blast Turret • Rickenbacker Turret|
|Cyborgs||Cyborg Midwife • Cyborg Assassin • Red Assassin|
|Bosses||Brain of The Many • SHODAN|