Heavy Weapons are the third weapon class in System Shock 2. Heavy Weapons are distinguished by their low ammo capacity, and a very powerful high amount of damage (aside from the Statis Field Generator).
Three weapons exist in the class...
It is also a combat skill in the game, and depending on the difficulty, one can normally specialize in 1-2 combat skills in a game.
Whenever a player upgrades a combat skill by one level, each weapon of the same type below that level gains a bonus damage of 15%. For example, when a combat skill reaches level 2 , weapons that required level 1 will gain a 15% extra damage, and weapons that required level 3-6 cannot get any bonus, of course. One should note that level 6 weapons will never obtain any bonus from combat skills.
Specializing in Heavy Weapons
- The Grenade Launcher is the most deadly weapon in the game, while the Fusion Cannon is also one of the most powerful weapons.
- The Grenade Launcher can apply bonus damage to nearly every type of enemies, and hence will reduce the overall difficulty of the game.
- Nothing can survive two shots from a fully-upgraded, fully-modified Grenade Launcher.
- Prisms, which are used by both the Stasis Field Generator and the Fusion Cannon, are very inexpensive to purchase. In fact, only standard bullets are cheaper than prisms.
- Prisms are common once the player enters the Command Deck.
- Grenades are relatively rare to find, while prisms-using weapons appear late. Hence, the player must also rely on Standard Weapons on early levels to survive.
- Grenades are very expensive to purchase, therefore running low of grenades could be fatal, especially on higher difficulties.
- The Heavy Weapons skill tree is the only one in the game that does not include a melee weapon; Heavy Weapons specialists can of course still rely on the Wrench for melee, but will not receive bonus skill damage for it unless they specialize in Standard Weapons as well.
|System Shock 2 Weapons|
|Standard Weapons||Wrench • Talon M2A3 .45 Caliber Pistol • Shotgun • M-22 Assault Rifle|
|Energy Weapons||Apollo H4 Laser Pistol • Mark VI Laser Rapier • Dual-Circuit EMP Rifle|
|Heavy Weapons||TC-11 "Brick" Grenade Launcher • Stasis Field Generator • Fusion Cannon|
|Exotic Weapons||Crystal Shard • Viral Proliferator • Annelid Launcher|
|Others||Black Ops Psionic Amplifier|
|System Shock 2 Character Builds|
|Classes||Marine • Navy • O.S.A. Agent|
|Statistics||Strength • Endurance • Psionic Ability • Agility • Cybernetic Affinity|
|Technical Skills||Hacking • Repair • Modify • Maintenance • Research|
|Combat Skills||Standard Weapons • Energy Weapons • Heavy Weapons • Exotic Weapons|
|O/S Upgrades||Cyber-Assimilation • Cybernetically Enhanced • Lethal Weapon • Naturally Able • Pack-Rat • Pharmo-Friendly •|
Power Psi • Replicator Expert • Security Expert • Sharpshooter • Smasher • Spatially Aware • Speedy •
Strong Metabolism • Tank • Tinker